It’s no secret that people love to receive rewards in exchange for a crowdfunding donation. However, all rewards are not created equally. It’s important to choose an offering that adds value to your target audience, but isn’t so overwhelming that fulfillment takes away from your ultimate goal ─ creating an amazing film.
Really think long and hard about the rewards you’re planning to offer prior to putting them up for grabs. You never know how people are going to react ─ your rewards could be the hottest thing on Kickstarter or Indiegogo ─ causing you to surpass your goal in a matter of hours. Make sure you only offer rewards that you can realistically fulfill, as you don’t want to let your financial backers down.
5 Tips for Choosing the Best Rewards for Your Crowdfunding Campaign
Need a little help selecting the right rewards to offer up with your crowdfunding campaign? Follow these five guidelines to find the best fit for both your audience and your production team:
1) Factor Rewards into Your Budget and Timeline: Make sure you have the money to create the perks you promise and the time to distribute them.
2) Add Extra Money into the Rewards Budget: It’s always better to plan for higher production costs ─ just in case. You can always add any leftover money back into your project budget.
3) Give Yourself Extra Time: Pad some extra time into your deadline to make room for unexpected delays, so you don’t put yourself under extra stress trying to finish under a tight deadline. Your backers will never fault you for finishing your project earlier and delivering your perks before their due date.
4) Offer Really Cool Rewards: Any campaign can offer backers a copy of the film on DVD or a movie poster. Get really creative and offer people something unique, like scripts, on-screen cameos, video chats with the actors, and props.
5) Clearly State Reward Levels: You’re not going to get very far offering rewards that people don’t understand. Be sure to thoroughly explain the different reward levels and what donors will receive for each level, so they’re motivated to contribute.
Alejandra Amarilla Surpasses Landfill Harmonic Kickstarter Goal
The Landfill Harmonic project ─ the story of a youth orchestra in the barrios of Paraguay that plays instruments made from trash ─ captured the hearts of nearly 5,000 donors. Producer Alejandra Amarilla set an initial Kickstarter goal of $175,000, which was exceeded by nearly 23 percent.
Thanks to the hard work of Alejandra Amarilla and everyone who worked on the project, this moving story can now be shared with the world.